Friday, January 25, 2008

Up, Up, and Away!

When I was very young, I started reading comic books. I was fascinated with Superman, and I would save my allowance or birthday money to buy the various issues that featured the Man of Steel. I have fond memories of going to the supermarket and flipping through the revolving racks, or going to the bookstore to glance through all the newest editions. I would sit and read them on the couch or in my favorite tree, and I would fly off with him on many adventures. It was through comic books that I wanted to learn to draw. I even created my own team of super heroes.

I collected comics for years, even taking subscriptions so that the issues would come directly to me. I liked Superman because he had a deep sense of right and wrong, he had integrity, and he put others before himself. I admired his desire to stand for truth, justice, and the American way. He was my ultimate hero.

I stopped collecting shortly after I personally asked Jesus Christ into my heart. The hero I grew up with had changed over the years. Little by little the values that he stood for became eroded. The writers even began creating supernatural enemies, so the stories became dark and ugly. I couldn't read them with the same pleasure anymore.

I still have my comics and the other Superman collectibles I accumulated over the years. They are just sentimental things now. Their value has dropped in my eyes because now I value a true hero: Jesus.

I'm glad Jesus never changes. He stand for truth, justice, and freedom. He never lies or takes bribes. He has more strength than Superman ever will, and He sacrificed His life completely so that others may live. Not even a Man of Steel can compete with that!

2 comments:

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Talk about a Super Hero!! There is none better than Jesus!!

Gloria

Nancy I. Sanders said...

That is so sweet to find out you liked Superman as a kid. And yes, our Super Hero Jesus always rescues us and His promises always come true. He never fails!
-Nancy