Monday, January 14, 2008

Shortcuts

I sometimes watch how my kids tackle their chores. You would think that the execution of a simple task would be pretty straight forward. For example, dusting the furniture should mean you pick up and dust the objects on the shelf as well as wipe off the shelf itself. Instead, I get more of the "I'll just dust the edges so I can finish sooner." The kids really try to shortcut their work.

Shortcuts can be good, though. Frank Gilbreth was an efficiency expert in the early 1900's. He would observe a technique and figure out how a company could reduce wasted steps and increase efficiency and productivity. He was remembered in the book, "Cheaper by the Dozen" (which was a great movie in 1950, but was poorly redone several years ago) where we can read how he would try many of his time-reducing methods on some of his twelve children. He was a master of shortcuts for the benefit of those he helped.

Unfortunately, we cannot take shortcuts in our relationship with God. There is no streamlined way to improve our interaction with Him. In fact, I have found that the less time I make with the Lord, the more distant from Him I feel. Quality time with God is made by quantity time: through prayer, worship, Bible reading, and fasting.

James 4:8a says, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." If I want a closer relationship, then I need to make the time to build and develop it. If He is my Lord, I need to put Him first. Does that mean I ignore my family when they need me? No, but it does mean that if I have to get up earlier to pray and read my Bible before the others wake up, then that is what I'm to do.

Taking shortcuts with God will only make your distance with Him greater. Instead, invest your time with Him, and you will be amazed at the rewards and benefits you will receive.

No comments: