Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Beginnings

I never considered writing as a career option when I was growing up. I started as an engineering major in college and graduated with a Bachelors of Arts in Cinema with an emphasis in cinematography. Although I did dabble in that industry for awhile, God had other plans for me. Of course, it took me many years to figure that out.

About six years ago my friend, Gaby, told me she dreamed of writing children's books, but she struggled with grammar. I was very good at grammar, so I decided to help her develop her writing skills. But in helping her, my interest in writing increased. I started to enjoy putting words down onto paper to create a story or to develop an idea, especially as I felt the Lord giving me the ideas to write about. Within about two years I knew in my heart that writing was my calling in life (besides being a full-time wife and mother).

I first became published in 2003 in the women's ministry newsletter of our church. I also had a cartoon published in that issue (I draw comic strips as well, which I will put on this blog every once in awhile). Ever since then I have been a quarterly contributor of both inspirational articles and cartoons. I first got paid for my work in 2004 when a few of my stories were accepted for a private school's reading program. The Lord has opened many doors since then, including publication of non-fiction and fiction articles in some national children's magazines. Currently I am negotiating a contract for my first non-fiction picture book (more of that in the future).

Gaby still desires to write. She is a wonderful idea person and we have collaborated on several projects that we are still trying to get published. You may see her adding a few posts here and there because she has amazing insight and is a great encourager, and you will be blessed by what she has to say. In fact, it was she who originally said we are Riding God's Coattails, hence the name of this blog.

Thanks for stopping by. There will be more to come as the days and weeks progress, so come back often!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to start the New Year! Looking forward to your future posts - I always love what you have to say!!!

Catherine L. Osornio said...

Thanks for the encouragements, Chris!

Nancy I. Sanders said...

Congratulations, Catherine! You've already accomplished one of your New Year's goals. I'm looking forward to reading more on your blog, so I'll hopefully set up a sitefeed to alert me each time you post a new blog.
Blessings!
-Nancy

Catherine L. Osornio said...

Thanks, Nancy. It helps to have a good role model to follow for blogging!

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Catherine, how awesome! I look forward to reading your blog. You have given me the push I need to start my own. Thanks!

Gloria

Catherine L. Osornio said...

I can't wait for you to do so, Gloria. I know you will have some amazing things to share!