Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Starting the Morning Off Right

When I was a little girl, I would sometimes sleep over at my grandmother's house. I would wake to the smell of bacon frying and coffee perculating on the stove. Those were such wonderful smells, especially the coffee brewing.

Many people use coffee to stimulate themselves in the morning. I've heard many people say they can't start their day without a steaming cup. Despite my love for the aroma, I've never been a coffee drinker. In fact, I don't think I've ever had more than a sipful or two of coffee in my entire life. I just don't like the taste.

I have found that the thing I use to get my mornings off to a good start is my devotional time with the Lord. Before I even get out of bed, I pray and then I grab my One Year Bible and read the assigned passages for the day. Usually within minutes of turning on my light, my bed is filled with expected visitors: my children who love our routine of reading the Bible together. We all snuggle as I read. I think it is a great bonding time, especially since it reinforces the wonderful way God fills us with hope and encouragement and strength to face the challenges of our day.

How do you start your mornings? Maybe you need to pour yourself a cup of hope from God's Holy Word.

2 comments:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

What a great reminder for starting our day! (I could smell the bacon and coffee, too, at your grandma's!)
-Nancy

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Your children will be blessed with wonderful memories of a godly mom who took time to teach and train them in God's Word. They can receive no greater gift!

Gloria