Thursday, January 3, 2008

Spousal Support

Two days after Christmas my husband found out he had high cholestrol. He was suddenly told, after a holiday filled with much feasting, that he had to change his diet and lose weight. No more of my Mom's stuffed baked potatoes. No more flour tortillas. No more ice cream! I'm sure it was tough news to hear, but he decided that this course of action was much better than taking the medication the doctor was suggesting.

I think this was a blessing in disguise. I had been worrying about his weight problem, knowing that the extra pounds put much stress on the body. Of course I would have loved it if he would have listened to my advice months ago, but at least he is now listening to his doctor.

I've decided to give him lots of spousal support. I will eat similar foods, and I'm pulling out my cookbooks, searching the net, and finding out tons of information on healthier alternatives. No more white flour and white sugar for him. No more chips and no after dinner snacking. I even made him whole wheat flour tortillas (which were so good the kids even liked them).

The other day we went to lunch at In-N-Out, a local chain of delicious hamburgers here in California. They can make you a Protien-style burger, which is essentially a burger wrapped in lettuce instead of the bun. It was very good! I think I'm going to enjoy this new search for better foods.

I think it is very important to support your spouse. It makes them feel that they are not in this struggle alone. It makes them feel loved and encouraged. It may be a little inconvenient sometimes for us to support them wholeheartedly, but it will strengthen your relationship and it will be much better for everyone in the end.

No comments: