Friday, January 18, 2008

There's Nothing Left to Do But Pray

Have you ever watched a movie where someone has gotten into a bad accident or is really sick and the doctor comes out and says, "There's nothing left to do buy pray"? I understand they are trying to say that the outcome is in God's hands, but I don't like how it sounds to me. To me it cheapens prayer.

First of all, prayer should be our first response, not just our last resort. The moment a crisis occurs, we should pray: for peace in our hearts so we can think clearly, for those who are working on a solution, and for a chance to pray with those who are hurting.

Secondly, prayer is powerful. It is our direct link with the Creator of the Universe. It is our hotline without the delay and with much clearer reception. Talk about connections!

One day a friend of mine was having a very difficult time. There was no way I could possibly help the situation beyond giving a hug. But I knew I could pray. I knew God would hear my request and work out the rest according to His will. He could grant my friend the comfort and the peace that was beyond my abilities. He knew exactly what my friend needed and the perfect timing to give it. I was powerless; He was not.

Don't underestimate the power of prayer. God always hears. Trust Him to move.

2 comments:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

This is so true, Catherine! Just last night my husband was sharing how a couple of days ago, he had prayed for a "hopeless" situation--and yesterday he found out that God had done a miracle in answer to his prayers! Thanks for this wonderful devotion to start our days.
-Nancy

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Catherine, you are right. Prayer should be our first line of attack when anything bad comes into our lives. I find it brings peace to me, even when I am in the middle of some disasterous situation!

Gloria