Monday, January 7, 2008

Up Scale

I don't mind going to the doctor's for my physical. I know it's something I must do each year or so to maintain my health and make sure that my body is not hiding any surprises. But the one thing I don't like (besides the usual boring wait in the waiting room) is having to step on that scale.

I really think those scales are rigged. I always come off weighing more that I know I weigh. This time it was even worse. I purposely weighed myself at home after I showered. Then, being winter, I dressed in the lightest of my warm clothes. I figured that with my shoes I probably was carrying an extra three pounds. So when I stepped on that scale (and I made sure my jacket and purse did not touch that big black stand), I was really amazed that within a space of two hours I weighed ten pounds more than my scale had read!

That weight is now on my permanent record; and I had just lost a few pounds, too. Talk about frustration.

God's scales, however, are perfect and true. He takes my life and measures it by His holiness. On my own, I will always be overweight and out of balance. No amount of exercise or changes in diet on my part can ever change that. But through Jesus, my imbalance is changed into Christ's perfection. God looks at me as if I am standing on evenly balanced scales, and as long as I have Jesus in my heart that will never change. What a wonderful mark to have on my permanent eternal record!

2 comments:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

Catherine, this is so inspiring! Thanks for reminding me of God's perspectives.
-Nancy

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Catherine, thanks for the beautiful devotion to start my week!

Gloria