Monday, January 21, 2008

In the Midst of Noise

I don't know how I did it. When I first started to write, I was still homeschooling three of my four young children. My computer was (and still is) in the living room of our small house, so when I had to type up stories, I was always in the midst of noise. Thankfully I was able to block out some of it so I could concentrate on content. To this day I am amazed that I was able to do as much as I did under the circumstances.

The kids are now all attending school. My weekdays are full of quiet opportunities to sit and reflect and pray about my writing, and then sit and type (in quiet) at my computer. It is so nice to have this noise-free zone that I rarely play any music or have any other sound (except the washing machine and the hum of the refrigerator) going on. I enjoy these peaceful moments.

But I do get those occasional days (like this Martin Luther King Jr. holiday) where all the kids are home and as noisy as ever. I love my kids, and with four healthy children I am thankful they can be noisy. I can still write with all the clamor, but it's not as easy as when I first started years ago. But when I feel that tug of inspiration, such as writing this blog, then I need to sit down and write -- even in the midst of noise.

2 comments:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

Sometimes I wonder if learning to write in spite of how busy life can be is what trains us to stick with our craft...How fun that you now have both noisy and quiet times for writing!
-Nancy

Catherine L. Osornio said...

I think there is a lot of truth to that, Nancy. If we can keep working despite the obstacles, then we will be that much more productive and focused in the long run.