Monday, August 11, 2008

What Will It Take?

What will it take for you to be right with God? I’m not talking to the non-believer here. I’m talking to those of you who profess to be Christians.

We live in a secular world, yet we aren’t of this world. But how many of us, like Lot’s wife, have our hearts wrapped up in this world? We serve false idols of possessions, self-indulgences, and/or pleasures. Instead of putting God first, we think of our own needs. Instead of being obedient to His Word, we twist it into our own interpretations. When God says no, we say, “Oh, He couldn’t have meant that,” when, if we are truly honest, we know that’s exactly what He means.

Are we going to be like Lot’s wife and turn back towards our old lifestyle before Christ and yearn for pleasures that last momentarily? If we do, we will suffer the consequences of our disobedience, however God chooses to discipline us. For Lot’s wife, it was being changed into a pillar of salt.

Are we willing to lose our fellowship with God? The more we are disobedient, the more we wander from His will. The more we wander, the less we hear from Him, until the lines of communication are severed.

I’m not willing to risk that. I need daily to examine my heart and see if things are right between Him and me. I need to be completely honest with my relationship with Him, and if there is even the slightest hindrance to my Christian walk, then I need to ask the Lord to forgive me and to help me get back on the right path.

What will it take for you to be right with God? Only you can answer that question. I pray that you will want to.

No comments: