Friday, August 1, 2008

The Front Porch

I miss the front porch from my middle grade years. It wasn’t a big porch: probably 5’ x 8’ with two steps leading down to the sidewalk. But it was big enough to sit on the top step, lean against the wooden post that supported the roof, enjoy the late afternoon breezes, and wave “Hi” to the neighbors who took late summer walks.

It was the perfect place to sit out a thunder storm, or to watch a rainbow in the sky. It offered enlightenment as I sat and composed my feeble attempts at poetry, and it gave me an alternative reading spot instead of my usual tree in the front yard.

The porch was where I could sit and wait for the mailman, listen for the ice cream truck, or wave for the Helm’s Bakery truck to stop so I could buy some delectable treats. It was a place to read letters or sip a cold glass of lemon-lime Kool Aid, or play jacks with my sister. Basically it was a place to relax, allow my imagination to stir, and to have fun.

I don’t have such a porch anymore. In fact I have more of a dull square by my front door. It’s very uncomfortable and leaves little room for the imagination. One day I hope to have an even bigger porch, perhaps with a nice porch swing. It would be a great place to sit and write.
But I don’t need a little square or rectangle to have fun or be inspired. God gave us abilities that are not limited by location. I can be creative and have fun anywhere and at anytime.

Are you limiting yourself because you don’t have the things that inspire you? Ask God to give you His inspiration.

No comments: