Friday, August 15, 2008

Looking Forward

Can you believe I was actually looking forward to the dentist yesterday? One of my teeth had been giving me some trouble for a few weeks, and the discomfort in the last few days had escalated. I was very thankful to be sitting in that chair!

I sought the dentist because there was a problem that I knew only she could solve. Efforts on my part to floss extra well and to gargle with salt water had failed, so I had to seek professional advice. Thankfully the problem wasn't involved (or overly expensive). A few touches of the drill to smooth down the surface of some teeth that had been banging each other was the solution. Now I just have to wait a few days for the sore gums to get better.

Do we look forward to Christ's return as eagerly as a patient with a sore mouth? As I was sitting in the chair waiting to be seen, I couldn't help but think that despite how painful this world is becoming, there are many who try to numb the pain instead of looking for the hope that is found in Jesus.

Christ has taken so long (in our opinions, although God is the one who sets the time) in returning that many have grown complacent and lazy. Instead of living for Him, they endure the moral decay that has come upon this world thinking that it will get better in time. Unfortunately, like a bad tooth, matters will only get worse.

I want to be eager for Christ to come back. I want to welcome Him with an open heart. Corruption, lack of respect, immoral behavior, greed, and a host of other conditions wear us all down. We need deliverance from this pain, and it will only truly come when Christ returns. He is the salve that will heal.

Until then, we can keep hoping that each morning will be the day He calls us home. As long as we have hope, we can long endure. It is when we lack hope that our personal world will truly fall apart.

No comments: