Friday, August 29, 2008

An Interruption

Hissssss! The sound jumped out at me as I got out of my car yesterday afternoon. I had just returned from picking up my son from school, and I was dropping him off before I had to turn around and pick up my other three from their school.

But the persistent noise caused me to glance at my front tire and notice a huge bolt sticking out of the treads. Great! I knew if I didn’t act soon, I’d have a flat tire on my hands and three kids stranded at school.

I called my husband and we decided I would first try to replace the escaping air by using the compressor in the garage; then I would drive to Costco to plug the hole. Noticing that my time was short, I hurriedly filled the tire (although more seemed to be coming out than going in). Then, grabbing my son, we headed to Costco.

Thankfully, the tire center wasn’t very busy, but I would still have to wait beyond the dismal time of the elementary school. I decided to walk to the school (about a mile away), pick up the kids, and head back to retrieve the car.

Attitudes are funny. Some people grumble and moan; others take things in stride; and still others relish the challenge a situation brings. I had every conceivable emotion before me when I picked up the kids. One moaned and complained. Another thought it was fun. Another thought she needed to use the bathroom. And finally, one said, “I have an extra water bottle and some food if we need it!”

Life will always throw curve balls. Something will eventually come along at some time or another that will interrupt our routine. I’m trying to show my children that it’s better to deal with the situation the best way we can. Complaining will only make us feel worse and keep us from thinking of positive ways to deal with the problem. I really enjoyed the attitude of my one son who said he had plenty of supplies to help us along the way.

We can’t prevent certain circumstances from happening, but we can take charge of how we deal with them. Try to be hopeful and helpful instead of hopeless and harried.

No comments: