Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Day at the Beach

The kids and I spent the day at the beach yesterday. School starts very soon, and with a busy calendar up until then, we figured this was the best time for our last summer beach trip.

The kids ran to the water right away while I set up our spot. While they looked for shells, built sand castles, and floundered in the waves, I sat researching my current project. I thought it was going to be difficult concentrating on a historical set of essays with the sounds of the surf, the kids calling out to one another, and the “neighbors” talking, but I ended up getting several pages read and some notes jotted down.

There is just something peaceful about the beach. Maybe it’s the rhythmic beat of the waves or the slight whistle of the wind. Maybe it’s watching a stream of pelicans moving northward or eyeing a sailboat in the distance slowing making its way towards the horizon. Whatever it is, I had a very relaxing time, and the kids had loads of fun.

Summer will be over soon, but at least we can thank God for some enjoyable and memorable days.

No comments: