Monday, August 18, 2008

Compromised

I spent several hours yesterday trying to figure out why I was getting a whole slew of popup ads on my computer. Every time I opened up my browser, ads would show up where they never had before. I even pay extra for my mail account so this won't happen, but apparently something wasn't working.

The big problem was that some of the ads were very inappropriate for a household with children. Even I was embarrassed by a few of them. This was definitely a problem I needed to solve, and fast! I ended up adding a new spyware program to my browser (even though I had another spyware installed), and that seems to be doing the trick.

It's easy to be compromised in this fast paced world. No matter how secure we think we are, there are so many opportunities for bad and unwanted material to enter our lives. Even with the best defenses it's not easy to keep out every bad thing.

The Bible, though, gives us some help. It encourages us to renew our minds (Romans 12:2). It tells us to put on the armor of God so we that we "...may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand (Ephesians 6:13)." And it exhorts us to think of things that are true, just, pure, lovely and of good report (Philippians 4:8).

The world will keep throwing things at us, but we are not in this fight alone. God provided His Word to encourage, comfort, shelter, and guide us. Seek His wisdom. It's the best anti-spyware around!

No comments: