Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It isn't the Heat...

I do not like humid weather. I don’t like the stickiness or the oppressiveness of the air. I don’t like melting when trying to put on make-up, or having to take a few showers a day just to feel comfortable. Thankfully I don’t have to deal a lot with humid weather. Yes, we do get the occasional days here and there where I live, but at least I don’t have to live with it on a constant basis like some who are in the more tropical areas.

Unfortunately we can’t change the weather, no matter what comes up. We don’t have any say on getting a bright, sunny day, or have any influence when we want rain. We have to accept things as they come.

It’s the same with life. We have no control over the circumstances we are confronted with on a daily basis. The problem comes when we feel victimized by our situations; when we have the attitude, “Why me? I can’t get a break!”

If I believe God is God, then I have to believe He interacts in my life. As a Christian I have to realize that nothing I face, whether good or bad, can come to me unless God has allowed it. Once I accept that (and I should accept it with joy), then I must realize that God has His reasons for allowing things to happen. Instead of moaning, “Why me?” I need to ask, “What would you have me learn, Lord?”

It may be something simple as being a good neighbor. Or it may be far more involved as changing a character flaw. Or it could be learning to face a situation that someone later in life will be dealing with as well.

Don’t look at life as being stuck with bad weather. Ask God to help you learn from the “heat” and you may find a refreshing breeze through it all.

No comments: