Monday, July 14, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

My mother has been on vacation for the past two and a half weeks visiting relatives in New Mexico. When I spoke to her the other day, she was ready to come home. Although she enjoys seeing her family members, a three week vacation is a long time to be away. She longs for her own bed and her own comforts of home.

As believers, the earth is not our home. Unlike my mother who can’t wait to get back to her own house and the things familiar to her, we have never been to our heavenly home. Yet the longing that there is something wonderful waiting for us is heavy on our hearts.

Jesus said in John 14:2, “‘In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.’” What a marvelous place that will be! The God of the Universe is specifically preparing a place for me and all those who believe in Jesus.

I am longing for my heavenly mansion, but until then I must remain faithful to the calling God has for me here on earth. One day, though, it will be nice to say, “There’s no place like home!”

No comments: