Monday, July 28, 2008

Don't Worry; Be Trusting

It started with cereal boxes, then candy bars, and now ice cream cartons. Packaged products are shrinking, although the prices are expanding. Even our own dollar does not have the same buying power it once did. It makes it difficult to forecast how to save for the future when, if the trend follows the current pattern, the money we put aside now will be worth far less tomorrow.

Cries of recession are being reported by the media, although I still see plenty of people purchasing large items at Costco and Best Buy. I wonder if they are using their credit cards, increasing their debt by leaps and bounds. Even our own national debt is beyond comprehension.

If my trust was in the economy, the global situation, and/or my bank account, I would be tempted to feel a bit panicky. All those things would make anyone a little nervous. But my trust is not in this world. My trust is in God, the creator of heaven and earth. He is never surprised by the fluctuating stock market or the ever-rising fuel costs. He knows who will win the presidential election in November and how that will affect the lives of all Americans.

The Bible contains many promises of provision for those who believe in God. Here are a few of my favorites:

Psalm 33:18-19: “Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy, to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.”

Psalm 37:18-19: “Day by day the LORD takes care of the innocent, and they will receive a reward that lasts forever. They will survive through hard times; even in famine they will have more than enough.”

Psalm 50:15: “Trust me in your times of trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory.”

Numbers 11:23: “Then the LORD said to Moses, ‘Is there any limit to my power? Now you will see whether or not my word comes true!’”

God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and all loving. Put your trust in the One who is capable of watching over you in the bad as well as the good.

No comments: