Friday, July 11, 2008

A Much Needed Rest

The busy week working and taking kids to and from Vacation Bible School finally got to me yesterday afternoon. I had such an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion that I just had to take a nap. I lay down for a good hour, sinking into a deep and restless sleep. It took awhile to wake up, but when I did I felt so much better. The rest did me good.

In our society we push and push and push ourselves. We think we are the Energizer Bunny, going and going even though we know we need a break. Some of that exhaustion comes from handling too many tasks at once. Often we assume extra responsibilities which cause stress to our bodies. Eventually that stress affects our health in one way or another.

Rest is important, but we often don’t allow for it until we’re forced to lie down because we’re worn out or sick. If Jesus took time away from His busy schedule here on earth to rest, then don’t you think we need to take a breather once in awhile, too?

Follow Christ’s example to rest. It will be better for your body and it will refresh your spirit, too.

No comments: