Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Broken Promises

We've all been frustrated by broken promises: calls that never are returned; projects that were supposed to be worked on; appointments that were supposed to be kept; relationships that were supposed to last. Anger, resentment, disappointment, and tears have been the results in many of these situations.

Sometimes these promises should never have been given. A person may have fooled himself into thinking he could handle all that was required. In other cases circumstances beyond one's control affected the keeping of a commitment. And in some situations the recipient was expecting too much.

I know I can easily get frustrated when a promise has not been kept. I had something happen the other day that got my temperature boiling. But when I took my frustration to the Lord, I had the sudden realization that I had no right to complain. Although I have tried very hard to keep my word, I have failed people, too. Most importantly, though, I realized that I have broken several promises to God. He has more right to complain about me than I have to murmur and grumble about someone else.

Thankfully God is forgiving. When we realize our mistakes and ask forgiveness, He forgives completely. Isaiah 43:25 say, "'I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins.'"

God wants us to do the same with those who hurt us. He wants us to have a forgiving heart. He wants us to blot out the sins of others and to love them. Yes, there are times when we should not accept the promises of those who continually fail at their commitments. We are to have discernment with those whose word cannot be trusted. But in regular situations, we must take our hurt to the Lord, ask Him to relieve our anger and frustration, and then we are to forgive.

Unfortunately broken promises are part of this fallen world. But we don't have to let the fallout affect us permanently. Turn the circumstance over to the Lord, and then forgive. You'll be amazed at the healing God will bring.

No comments: