Monday, July 21, 2008

All Sizes, Shapes, and Styles

My family and I visited one of our local theme parks yesterday, and at one point I took the time to rest on a bench while the others went on a few rides. I hadn't meant to "people watch," but I couldn't help notice all the varieties of visitors. Everyone was unique, from the color and style of hair to the choice of clothing and accessories.

Some walked, strolled, drooped, skipped, and ran. Kids laughed, cried, giggled, and smiled. Parents scolded, encouraged, comforted, and lugged. I saw tennis shoes, sandals, loafers, and even slippers. People wore shorts, pants, t-shirts, capris, skirts, tank tops, swimming trunks, and jeans.

What mostly caught my eye were the different faces: long, pudgy, square, round. Big, small, or hidden ears. Square, curved, or double chins. Distinguished, Roman, stubby, and flat noses. Curly, straight, short, long, dark, light, and streaked hair.

I could not help but marvel at God's creativity. He hand designed each passerbyer, making them as one-of-a-kind as their fingerprints. Like a portrait painter, God took a blank canvas and made color, texture, and dimension blend into an unique individual.

I wonder how many of those visitors realize just how special they are. Do they know the God who formed them and knew them in their mothers' wombs? Do they know He loves them beyond comprehension? I pray that if they don't know this, that God will so overwhelm them with His love that they can't help but find out who He is.

"I will praise You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."
Psalm 139:14a

No comments: