Monday, November 3, 2008

Beware the Infomercial

Having come from a background in film, I view audio-visuals with a different light than the average viewer. I am quick to note errors in composition and continuity. I notice how many different camera shots were used within a scene. I can detect whether someone is singing live or lip singing; and I can tell if a reality show has in fact been staged.

Media is a powerful tool that can persuade the masses, making myths seem like facts and facts seem like myths. I place Infomercials in this persuasive category. The whole presentation is to get you to buy their product. Everything is orchestrated. Have you noticed that not one single person dislikes the merchandise? Infomercials are extremely expensive, so you don’t want any negative comments if you are paying that amount of money.

Since anything visual can be made to look good, or can be edited to say basically anything you want it to say, I am very skeptical of infomercials. My kids, on the other hand, can easily be persuaded to buy into the hype. Sure, it may be a good product, but I’d want to do a bit more independent research before I agree to buy into it.

Hitler took great advantage of selling himself to the public through the manipulation of media. His cinematographer, Leni Riefenstahl, was a master of creating beautiful films that made Hitler look like a man committed to the salvation of Germany.

So I say beware the infomercial. Depending on what it is trying to sell, you can easily be fooled into believing something completely opposite from the truth.

No comments: