Monday, November 24, 2008

A Note of Thanks: Part I

Doesn’t it seem that we are rushed this Thanksgiving? The stores want to squish this very precious holiday between a bagful of Halloween candy and Season Greeting gift wrap. Thanksgiving, after all, isn’t as commercially successful as selling costumes or assorted socks and slippers in all shapes and sizes.

But I want to put the brakes on. I want to say, “Hey! Let’s be thankful!” So I’m devoting the next few days to say how thankful I am for the blessings God has given me.

All my thanks, of course, flows from the love of God. It is He who has given me everything that I’m thankful for. It is because of God’s unfathomable love that He sent His Son Jesus down to earth to die so that we can experience God’s love, forgiveness, and redemption. Isn’t that amazing?! Even if you were the only one on this planet, Jesus would have come down to die for you. I can’t understand how people fail to be thankful for that!

I am thankful that God is longsuffering; that He wooed my heart day after day, year after year, until I was ready to accept Him into my life as Lord and Savior. And I continue to be thankful that He is longsuffering with my development as a Christian, since I constantly make mistakes and need lots of grace and mercy.

No comments: