Friday, May 23, 2008

Sudden Storms

It had been a warm, muggy day. My husband was coming in on the train from Los Angeles to join the kids and me in Sante Fe, New Mexico where we had been visiting with relatives for the past week. We had all carpooled to the train station, but we had to sit around and wait since the train was late.

Clouds were gathering in the distance. Since it was July, the monsoon season of the area, we knew a shower could be expected. When the first drops began to fall, the train pulled in. Hugs and kisses later, we all piled into our cars and headed back to my relatives’ home a few miles away.

By the time we pulled onto the main highway, the sky seemed to explode. Rain fell in torrents, thunder boomed, and lightning lit up the darkened sky. Although this wasn’t the first storm the kids and I had experienced since we had arrived, it was the fiercest. What a welcome for my poor husband! Thankfully, the frightening storm lasted only about ten minutes and then rolled on to another area.

Sometimes life gives us storms. We may see the warning signs off in the distance, but pay little attention since the storm hasn’t affected us personally. When the storm hits, we may be surprised at its intensity since we didn't expect the fury. But like any storm, it will blow away, leaving only trickles instead of torrents; rainbows instead of rain.

I thank God that He is in the midst of every storm I experience. Whether a true rainstorm like last summer in New Mexico or a storm in my personal life, I know the Lord is by my side giving me comfort and strength as I call out to Him.

Who do you seek when life’s storms hit you? Try calling out to God. He will give you a peace that no storm can ever shake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Catherine, how true! No storm is bigger than our God. I take comfort in that when I am in the throes of the storm. Thanks for reminding me.

Gloria