Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Full Description

The other day my son wanted me to bid on a trading card for him on ebay. He had the funds, and the maximum price he wanted to bid wasn't too expensive, so I agreed. I didn't bother reading the description. I saw the picture and what the payment terms were, so I was content to trust my son's decision on the matter. So at the appropriate time, I placed the bid during the last few minutes and ended up winning the card.

After I made the online payment, I waited for some word from the seller. It came quickly, but to my dismay. It turned out that I bought a "virtual" card. When I went back to read the description, it said it was for the online game and that I would have to meet the seller online to "receive" the card.

First of all, I had no idea that there were virtual cards for this game. Secondly, the boys don't play virtual games. I notified the seller that it was my error that I didn't read the description, so he just earned a free $2.51.

How often do we not take the time to read things through? I had no excuse in this case. I knew better than to accept information in blind faith; but I had been in a hurry and assumed my son had checked everything out. Thankfully it was only a few dollars.

Do you claim to be a Christian? Have you read the full description on what it means to be a believer? A person is not a Christian because he/she was born into a family of faith or because of regular church attendance. Jesus told Nicodemus, a very prominent religious leader in his day, that he could not receive eternal life unless he was born again. Nicodemus' knowledge of Scripture or his devotion to his faith were not enough. He needed to accept Jesus as his Lord and Savior. Only then could he become part of God's kingdom.

Ask the Lord into your heart if you haven't already done so. Then make sure you read His word so you can get the full description of the wonderful promises of God.

No comments: