Thursday, May 15, 2008

Making Mistakes

I made a big mistake the other day. A relative had given us an extra computer to use for the kids, so I had been in the process of cleaning up files and downloading software for them. An older computer game was not working on my computer, so the kids wanted it on the “new” one. The game was supposed to be compatible with the operating system of that computer, so I decided to load it in and see if it ran.

The download went smoothly. We had sufficient memory to cover the game. But when it came to launching the game, a screen came up telling me the driver was not set to receive the proper graphics. To make a long story short, as I tried to override the screen resolution to see if that would make the game work, everything went black. Then some words came up telling me the resolution was incorrect for the system. I tried escape, ctrl+alt+del, and all sorts of things to get into another mode, but the screen remained blank. Since I couldn’t see, I couldn’t change back the settings to fix the problem.

The kids of course were disappointed. I had just installed their new monitor and they were eager to try everything out. However, nothing I did helped. They ended up going to bed with no solution in sight.

I have a decent knowledge of computers, but not enough for this type of problem. With no one to call, I assumed we would have to end up spending money trying to fix my error. I was feeling a bit dejected until I realized I could look online for solutions. After about a good thirty minutes, I discovered an entry with a problem similar to mine. I implemented the suggestions, and Viola! It worked. I got the screen back to normal.

I don’t like making mistakes, but I am sure thankful when I can fix them. Sometimes, though, our mistakes have caused major damage and no amount of tweaking can fix the problem. In relationships our mistakes aren't always easy to solve. Oftentimes we “open mouth and insert foot,” doing more harm than good.

When our words get us into trouble, it’s very hard to fix the hurt feelings, the built up resentments, and the frustration that blocks out rational thought. The best solution is to go to the master problem solver – Jesus. He can set us straight and help us begin to repair the damage.

Will the person we hurt forgive us? It would be nice if that were always the case, but there is no guarantee. We just have to fall on our knees before the Lord and ask Him to work out the situation for His glory.

When you make a mistake, seek Jesus for help and healing. There’s no better solution than trusting in Him.

1 comment:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Catherine! Isn't it wonderful our God forgives us and encourages us to forgive, too? Love, Nancy