Monday, May 12, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Norman Rockwell painted a great picture of a man who decided he needed to get away from it all and go fishing. He is sitting in a very small boat with his dog, his fishing poles are plopped in the water, and he is peacefully snoozing away under the shade of his umbrella; his face a sign of perfect contentment.

There are times when I just want to put out my sign, "Gone Fishing," and take the day off. Instead of going fishing, though, I'd probably grab a good book, pack a nice lunch (maybe some sushi and some good summer fruits), find a nice comfortable tree, and climb up and read.

Too many responsibilities and too little opportunities keep me from following this dream. Being a wife and mother with young kids makes the possibility of taking a day off inconceivable. But I can dream; and the fact that I can dream of such moments is, in a sense, a form of relaxation to me.

Perhaps some day that dream can become a reality. In the meantime I will use the imagination God gave me and hang up my own little sign that reads, "Gone dreamin'."

No comments: