Thursday, October 23, 2008

Simpler Living

With the uncertainty of our economy, family budgets are tighter than ever. The realization that you can’t spend as wild as you once did looms ever in the forefront of the mind. Certain desirable items are now moved into the luxury category. Eating out is not so common any more. That new outfit may have to wait another paycheck or two.

In many ways we have been spoiled here in the United States. Instant gratification has made us spenders instead of savers and eager beavers instead of cautious consumers. Often we buy beyond our means, confident that we will have the money later on to pay for it. But is this wise? Too many people live paycheck to paycheck. That credit card debt won’t get paid if we get laid off or lose our jobs because of lack of work.

Credit isn’t bad, but too many people fall victim to its enticements, creating an insurmountable debt because of a lack of self-control. We need to look at our needs, not our wants. The wants seem to get us into trouble.

We need to live simpler lives. I’m not saying to go back to the days when you sewed your own clothes and carded your own wool. I’m talking about realizing we can’t (and shouldn’t) have it all. We need to be content with what we have, and we need to pray about the things we need, asking God to allow those things into our lives that will be for our benefit.

I sometimes pray Proverbs 30:7-9, “Two things I request of You (Deprive me not before I die): Remove falsehood and lies far from me; Give me neither poverty nor riches – Feed me with the food allotted to me; lest I be full and deny You, and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or lest I be poor and steal, and profane the name of my God.”

Putting ourselves into God’s hands, especially with our finances, is the wisest thing we can do. He is the best Financial Advisor, Comforter, Provider, Investor, Counselor, and Friend you will ever find. Why don’t you try living His way for a change? You may be surprised at what He can do for you.

No comments: