Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Walking the Red Carpet

In 1985, while still in film school, I had the privilege of attending the Academy Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. My boss at the time was an Associate Member of the Academy. He offered me his extra ticket to sit with him and his friends if I could get myself to and from the Pavilion.

What an opportunity! A friend of mine loaned me her beautiful beaded dress and her black mink coat. She also treated me to a limo ride. My mom and sister helped with my hair and makeup. I was excited as I drove the twenty-odd miles to downtown Los Angeles.

Then came the exiting of the limo. I was very nervous. What would people do? As the ushers opened the door, I stepped out and onto the red carpet. As I walked towards the entrance, I noticed the paparazzi with their cameras flashing and the reporters interviewing the stars. Crowds were gathered, either sitting in bleachers or standing on the other side of metal rails. The noise was incredible. I kept moving forward.

I passed several stars as they were being interviewed. It was busy, but not too crazy since it was still early. People noticed me, but since I wasn't a "star" I was quickly glanced over. I was relieved when I finally entered the building.

When the show was over, many people lingered indoors. I said my goodbyes and gave my thanks to my boss, then headed outside to find my limo driver. I was on the red carpet again. This time there were no flashing lights and no interviewers. There were only a few die hard fans. As I walked in the cool evening with the black mink coat wrapped tightly around me, I had one group call out, "Can I have your autograph?" I smiled, shook my head, and continued walking.

It's funny how others see you. Walking in, with all the glitz and glamour, I was a nobody. My face had never graced the big screen or magazine covers. No one paid any attention to me. But coming out, when no one else was around, people noticed because of the fancy clothes I was wearing and the red carpet I was walking on. I had not changed. I was still basically a nobody, but those people thought I was somebody, even though their perceptions were wrong.

I'm glad I don't have to impress God with fancy clothes, expensive jewelry, and red carpets. He sees right through all the facades. Since He made me, He can see straight into my heart and soul. But because of Jesus I am treated like royalty. I am the daughter of the King of Kings, heir to all His promises.

I don't look at the Academy Awards quite the same way as I did those many years ago. In fact movie stars don't even impress me like they used to. I have a different focus in my life: Jesus. And I don't even have to walk the red carpet for Him to look at me and take notice.

No comments: