Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Primary Colors

Back in my grammar school days, I loved having all my new supplies for the first day of school: Pee Chee folders, pencils and pencil bags, rulers, and a new metal lunch pail (am I dating myself or what?). I especially liked having my new box of 64 Crayola Crayons.

It was exciting to open that brand new box with its sharpener right inside. Each crayon was carefully wrapped with its corresponding color. Each had perfect points because they had never been used.

I guess I liked all the beautiful blend of colors. They also had cool names: Carnation Pink, Olive Green, Turquoise Blue, Raw Umber, Thistle and Mulberry. Sixty-four was sure a long way from the standard eight pack. You could make all sorts of wonderful creations with such a box.

I don't know how old I was when I learned that all colors came from blending the Primary Colors. My mother had taught us about art at an early age having studied commercial art before she was married. I remember her mixing pastels to create subtle and bold color schemes to enhance depth and shadow and light. It was amazing what a few sticks of color could produce.

Just like Primary Colors, our faith is our foundation or our starting point. With the Lord's guidance, we can blend faith with a little hope and a little love to make something beautiful that reflects our Heavenly Father to the world around us. What will you create with the Lord? I'm sure He has more combinations in mind for you than a box of 64 crayons!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Catherine. I hope I allow God to create something beautiful with my life today.
Gloria

Nancy I. Sanders said...

What a great visual--I can tell you have the heart of an artist. Thanks for comparing things to the Master Artist, too!
-Nancy