Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Quiet, Please!

That seems to be my favorite nighttime phrase of late. My kids are just taking forever to settle down and sleep. It takes a good hour for them to finally be quiet.

Then, after awhile, one of them comes in the room and states, "I can't fall asleep." "Did you pray?" I ask. "No." "Well, try praying for everyone you know. That'll help." And then my child will shuffle back into his room and hop back into bed.

Why is it that we just don't want to settle down? We want to keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny. But our body needs rest. It needs to re-energize. Even Jesus understood the value of taking a break. He often would go into the country with His disciples to get away from the throngs of people who were constantly seeking His help and healing.

If Jesus took time to rest, don't you think it's more crucial for us to do so? Maybe it's time to tell yourself, "Quiet, please!" and take a breather.

No comments: