Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Developing Character

I'm currently researching information for a character in a mystery story I'm writing. The character will have already been dead for over eighty years, but I still have to make him "real" in order to make him believable to my readers. As I dig up more information about the time period he would have lived in, about the occupation he would have engaged in, and the lifestyle he would have led, I'm developing his character. These little bits of information will add up to create what this man was supposed to be, something that will be crucial in the final solutions of my story.



It takes time to develop a character, and it takes time for us to develop character. Circumstances in life mold and shape us into the people we will become. I am very different from the child I was. If I continue to grow and develop as I age, I will be a bit different from who I am now.



God is more interested in our character than our comforts. Have you ever noticed that a trial may be very challenging, but how we handle that trial can develop character within us? Our trials are not accidental. God knew, by the choices we would make or by the situations we put ourselves in, that we would need certain circumstances to be the catalyst for our development. It seems to me that the sooner we accept this developmental growth, the better. When we grumble and moan and complain, it takes us longer to learn from our situation.



God is the author of our lives. He provides ways for us to develop our character. Why resist His efforts? He knows what's best for us anyway.

No comments: