Friday, June 5, 2009

Cost of Freedom

Here in America we often take our freedoms for granted; mostly because we haven't been used to much else. Yet I had an interesting experience the other morning that made me realize just how blessed I am to be here; and just how little we think about the sacrifices people make when they come here.



I needed a pedicure badly. It had been months since I've walked into a salon, so I decided to treat myself as a belated birthday gift. Choosing a new place not far from home, I walked in and was assigned to a very nice Vietnamese lady. After a bit we engaged in conversation where I found, to my surprise, that she had been a physics teacher back in Vietnam. As I began to hear her story, especially as she shared that sometimes customers come in and treat her disrespectfully, I found myself thinking how much society stereotypes people based on their occupation. Here an obviously intelligent lady is sometimes treated poorly because of her accent and her job. Yet in her country she would have had a very respectable position.



The reason she became a manicurist was because she had come here newly married and needed a job that wouldn't take too long to learn since she also had a little baby. Going back to school to fulfill the requirements to teach in the United States would have taken too much time, so she took the 3 month or so course to do nails. Her job basically is to help support her family. It is not something she does because she likes it (although I'm sure she has both good days and bad), but as a way to earn money to help the eight people that reside in her home.



I find it refreshing to still find people who are not afraid to work; who will do what it takes to provide, even if the pay is below what one normally would expect in salary. This lady does plan on returning to teaching, but it will have to wait until her children are much older. It's their time now. She will have plenty of time for herself later.



Then she told me that she loves this country because of its freedoms. Life here is so different from Vietnam. Here she can dress as she pleases without people looking down on her. We didn't get much time after that to discuss the other freedoms I'm sure she is thankful for. Yes, coming here cost her a career, but it gained her many things that her children will now be able to have and to hold onto.

Try to remember that our freedoms sometimes come at a price. And when you remember, thank God for allowing us to be free.

No comments: