Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When Opportunity Knocks

There it is. The chance of a lifetime. An opportunity literally drops in your lap. What should you do? Should you immediately jump at the chance?

I have learned over the years that it's best to pray first and foremost. Even though it seems like a match made in heaven, I want to be sure it's the right opportunity for me. Sometimes God has other plans, so I pray for His direction on the matter.

Since praying is usually an ongoing process is such situations (especially when I'm waiting for distinct directions from the Lord), I like to list the pros and cons. How does this benefit me and my family? Will it involve time I cannot commit to? Have I researched all the details? I need to make sure my excitement about the matter doesn't override a need for discernment.

Next, I seek counsel from a godly family member or friend. Sometimes the Lord uses our loved ones to minister to us, especially when we might have too many distractions to allow us to see straight.

Finally, I wait. If God hasn't shown me through prayer, discernment, and godly counsel, then I need to wait for His perfect timing to show me.

When opportunity knocks we need to make sure it's God's plan for us. Seek the Lord above all else. He will help you make the right decision.

No comments: