Monday, September 15, 2008

Out of Focus

I’ve been out of focus since Thursday. My eyes need a new prescription for my reading and computer glasses, so everything I’ve been doing lately (reading and researching) has been slightly blurry. No sharp letters on the printed page. No distinct images on my monitor. Thankfully I can see well enough to work, but I will be glad when I have my glasses back in my possession. I like seeing clearly.

Part of my research lately has taken me to a time of the early New England settlers of America. They were men and women whose vision was sharp and crisp and clear. These Pilgrims, and later Puritans, knew that the only way to make their communities work was to see the world through the eyes of their Savior, Jesus Christ. They were willing to live for Him and through Him and in His power. To do otherwise would cause their walk in life to be blurry and indistinct.

I am humbled by their faithfulness and resolve. Their lives have caused me to look at my own and realize that I so fall short of their spiritual walks. Some may ask, is it fair to compare my life with theirs, especially since we live in different times? My answer is yes. I can rightly compare because they used then the same life-source as I do now – the Bible.

And just as I currently look at my Bible with blurred vision because I lack my glasses, so I, too, have come to the realization that my walk with the Lord can be much sharper than it is right now. I need to prayerfully ask Him to show me those areas that need improving, and then act upon those improvements.

How is your vision? Can you see clearly enough in your walk, or are the edges fuzzy and unclear? Ask the Lord to sharpen your view today.

No comments: