Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Reality Check

My contract for my alphabet book came in the mail this past Friday. I was both excited and scared at the same time. As I glanced through the contract and paperwork, I couldn't help thinking, "This is it! It's finally happening."

The reality of my selling a book is coming in stages. First there was the initial shock of the publisher saying, "We like it." Now it's the excitement of the contract in my possession. What will my feelings be when I see the proofs and perhaps the artist's sketches? Will I faint when I have an actual copy in my hands? I feel like I'm about to go on a wild roller coaster ride.

Right now I'm wading through all the paperwork, especially the promotional parts. Since this is my first book, I feel a bit inadequate. I don't know any bigwigs in the media. I don't belong to any groups or organizations that could promote my book. Will the publisher shake its corporate head and wonder why did they choose me to begin with?

If I let all these doubts invade my mind, I'd just throw in the towel and hide under my covers. But there is one thing I know for sure. This is the road God has me on. He allowed this book to move forward and be accepted. He will be my promoter. Of course, I do have to supply the publisher with all the information I can, but God will be the one to stir people's hearts to read this book. He will draw their attention to it if He sees fit.

My friend gave me a great Scripture to reflect on. Psalm 34:4 says, "I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." God is in control of my life and my future. I don't need to worry or be afraid. I just need to trust Him and be open to the plans He has for me.

What is making you feel inadequate? What are you afraid of? The Lord wants to help encourage and strengthen you. Call out to Him and expect Him to answer you.

2 comments:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

Congratulations, Catherine!!!!!! Yippee!!!! Enjoy the joy!
-Nancy

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Catherine, how awesome. At last, the wait is over!!!
Congratulations on a great book!!
Gloria