Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Great Expectations

"Has he come? Is it here?" Those have been the latest questions of my sons when I pick them up from school. Such eager anticipation, and all for a new video game that is supposed to arrive any day in the mail.

I used to be just as excited about the visits from the mailman when I was a kid. I remember writing letters for information or placing orders for things and then waiting to see each day what the mail would bring. It was worse in the summer when I had huge amounts of time to wait. Of course, I was more often disappointed than pleased when the mailman's arrival didn't bring anything for me.

As I look back with the eye of an adult who knows how insignificant the things I was waiting for really were, I can't help but miss that feeling of expectation. I knew there was something coming for me. It could come any day. That excitement gave me hope that if it didn't come one day, it could come the next. It's too bad maturity and age robs us of that sense of longing.

Wouldn't it be great if we were that excited about Jesus coming back? We don't know the day or the hour of His imminent return, but the Bible says we will know the season. It could be any day now. I need to ask the Lord to forgive me for not being as excited as I should be. Then I need to ask Him to make me like that young girl who waited with great expectation for a very special delivery.

How about you? Will you join in the wait for Jesus with the eagerness He deserves?

No comments: