Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Light at the End of the Tunnel

I can see it: the light at the end of the tunnel. There was a slew of tasks blocking my view. It's nice to see that there will be a conclusion to all this.

A contract, a promotions packet, story deadlines, family obligations, etc. had filled my "in" box. Panic could have easily set in, especially as I tried to wade through this whole new concept of trying to promote a book. Instead of reaching for the panic button, I decided I needed to: 1) pray; 2) seek wise counsel; 3) prioritize; and 4) take things one step at a time.

Prayer should always be the first choice of any activity. It gives you an opportunity to worship the Lord and to show Him you do need His help and intervention. Prayer allows us to hear what God would have us do in any situation.

A natural result of prayer is direction. In my case, I sought wise counsel from friends and family members. They played key roles in helping me keep focused and on track. They also gave me accountability.

The suggestions of my counselors led me to prioritize. Since I was stretched in different directions, I had to figure out what needed to be taken care of first. I couldn't do everything all at once.

When I knew the order of importance, I needed to break the tasks down into steps. Instead of looking at massiveness, I looked at pieces. By working this way, I was able to accomplish a lot and I made better use of my time.

My contract has now been reviewed, my promotions packet is completed, and I'm almost through with one story in plenty of time to meet my deadline. I still have to wait on a few e-mails, but for the most part, I am done.

Are you looking at your tasks instead of at Jesus? Ask for His help. Trust His direction. You will eventually see the light, the One, True Light, at the beginning, middle and end of the tunnel.

3 comments:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

Wow! You've gotten so much done! And it sounds like God showed you the way to do it. Isn't He great?
-Nancy

Catherine L. Osornio said...

"There, but for the grace of God, go I!"

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Catherine,
I am at the overwhelmed stage, too. Thanks for the good practical and spiritual advance!
Gloria