Monday, March 17, 2008

Forty Days

Our church just completed a voluntary forty day fast. As we denied our bodies of food, we were to turn to the Lord for sustenance. There were no rules for what food or foods to give up. It was essentially a time of sacrifice between us and the Lord.

I chose to give up red meats and snacking in-between meals. What a tough choice I made! I hadn't realized how much I enjoyed being able to go the fridge or pantry as I pleased to get something to munch on. The desire for hamburgers or a bowl of ice cream was incredible. But I tried to be true to the commitment I had made with the Lord. I wanted to direct my fleshly desires to become spiritual desires, seeking to develop a deeper relationship with the King of kings.

As the days turned into weeks I noticed two things. One, that my desires for the extra food was fading; and two, I was becoming more intune with my directions from the Lord. As I sought to hear from Him instead of reaching for food, I realized that there were things He expected me to do. Now with the fast over, I am praying for Him to direct me in how I am to carry out those plans.

I'm glad I chose to carry out this fast. It gave me time to earnestly seek the Lord, interceding for my friends, family, country, and my commission. It made my heart desire a more intimate relationship with God.

Take some time to seek the Lord as your source of nourishment. You don't have to go forty days; just make sure you are reaching for Him instead of that package of cookies. God will talk to you. Get your heart ready to listen.

No comments: