Friday, July 10, 2009

Early Will I Seek You

My family and I were on vacation this past week up in the desert. The days were hot and the evenings comfortable. In the mornings I made it a habit to sit out in the little patio area attached to the north of our unit and have my daily devotions.

I really enjoyed this little quiet time. Everyone else was either asleep or just getting up, so I had some solitude as I read my Bible and sought the Lord. The gentle breeze that wafted into the little area was cool and refreshing, sometimes even a bit chilly; but it was a relief from the heat that would come later in the day.

Maybe that’s why David said in Psalm 63:1, “O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.”

David was out in the wilderness of Judah where the land was hot and dry. He would know that the best time to seek relief from the heat was in the early hours of the morning. And he sought the Lord because he was a man on the run from a king who sought his life, and he knew under such stressful conditions, it was best to start his day with the One True God.

How are you starting your day? Are you literally jumping out of bed and into the trials and busy-ness of life? Are you wondering why your life is so stressful? Why don’t you get up early and seek the Lord? He will refresh you like the gentle breezes, and His Word will be like water to a thirsty soul.

No comments: