Friday, July 17, 2009

Coming Alongside

In 1990 or so I used to belong to a church bicycle group. We would bike Monday nights and Saturdays in the summer, preparing for the ultimate bicycle trip in September when we traveled from Anaheim to San Diego, California.

On one of our Saturday bike rides, we joined a bicycle tour around Temecula. I was a good rider, so a friend and I stayed together most of the trip, enjoying the scenery and the ride. But towards the middle of the route, we started getting into some hilly climbs. The nice ride was turning into a challenge.

I remember going up this one long hill. It was hot and my muscles were pounding. Even my friend was struggling. Then a Scripture popped into my head, Isaiah 40: 31, "But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." I started praying this in my head. I even shared it with my friend.

Then from behind we heard the sound of a bicycle approaching. It was one of the faster riders from our group making his way up the hill. He saw us struggling, and then he came alongside, grabbed the back of my bicycle seat, and used his momentum to push me up the hill. Then he went back for my friend and did the same.

What a wonderful help! And it was so applicable to the Scripture we had been praying. God renewed us and helped us up the hill in our tired condition through the assistance of one of our brothers in Christ (who I ended up marrying two years later).

Do you know someone who is struggling right now? We can't solve their problems; but we can come alongside and boost them up with prayer and kindness while we wait for the Lord's renewal.

No comments: