Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Word About Christmas Shopping

I like hearing Christmas music in the stores. In fact it seems that more retailers are playing seasonal tunes this year. Even the restaurant my family visited on Sunday was streaming festive music while we dined.

Most of those shopping in the malls are buying presents for Christmas. They are going to wrap these gifts and place them under some type of Christmas tree. Most are not shopping for Hanukkah. Most are not buying for Kwanza. Even Santa says, “Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!”

Why can’t more stores acknowledge that we want to recognize Christmas? Certain retailers are refusing to say Christmas. The closest they will get is saying “Holiday Gifts.” They have every right to advertise this way, but I also have the right to shop where I please. I prefer companies that want my business to the point that they will openly recognize and acknowledge what is important to me. They don’t have to believe in Jesus. I don’t expect them to go to church. But at least get my interest to do my Christmas shopping by admitting that they want my Christmas business.

One catalog I received solved the problem in my eyes. They sold cookies that let you choose “Christmas” or “Holiday” on the tins. At least they are giving people a choice. I plan to give them some business this year.

No comments: