Monday, December 22, 2008

Baking Day

Every year for the last five years or so, my friend’s kids have come over before Christmas to make Christmas Cookies with my kids. Because of some unexpected circumstances, they weren’t able to come on our scheduled date two weeks ago, but they are coming today. Both sets of kids (seven all together) are very excited.

I don’t think it’s the cookie making that excites them the most. It’s more the participation, the cooperation, and the association with one another. Tradition is very strong here. These kids have known each other since they were very little, so there are deep bonds of friendship, even if they don’t get to see each other as often as they’d like.

When the plans were cancelled a few weeks back I was a bit disappointed. Even though I get the “fun” part of making the dough, setting up the work area, and then cleaning everything up, I enjoy their enthusiasm and camaraderie. We play Christmas music, the house is filled with the wonderful smells of baked cookies, and there is much laughter and creativity.

I hope to continue this tradition as long as they are interested and as long as we are able. It adds to the joy of the Christmas season, especially since friendships are a gift from God.

No comments: