Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Trying My Patience

Are you impatient? Do you glance at your watch on a continual basis because you’re waiting for something or someone? Do you pace the floor while you’re waiting? I used to be impatient, especially when I was growing up. I’d get nervous if we weren’t somewhere on time, or get frustrated if someone wasn’t punctual.

As time went on I realized I couldn’t control the circumstances. My worry didn’t affect traffic or how fast someone made a meeting. I was only hurting myself since my impatience led to stress on my body and nerves. So I did what people say you should never do: I prayed for patience.

Of course, God knows what’s best and He has a sense of humor. Instead of giving me patience immediately, He made me wait. He gave me innumerable circumstances where I had to wait…and wait…and wait. But God’s timing is perfect timing. He showed me that He is in control; I am not. In a perfect world there would be perfect time; but we live in a fallen world and we have to accept that not everything is going to run smoothly.

Am I totally patient now? Absolutely not! But I have noticed that circumstances that would have driven me nuts many years ago do not affect me like they once did. I can thankfully say that I am not one of those people who sigh loudly or make comments because of a slow teller or customer. I would still like to get my errands done on time instead of waiting for people to show up, but I don’t stress about it. I pray about it. And as I pray and give my circumstances to the Lord, I feel strengthened and comforted because I know life is in God’s hands. I need to trust in His perfect timing.

Are you impatient? Pray for the Lord to help. He will try your patience in the most ideal way.

No comments: