Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In the Mood

Last week I decided to get a pedicure since we’ve been having perfect sandal wearing weather. Although it wasn’t very crowded when I walked in, the salon was rather quiet. It was nice to sit in the comfortable chairs with the automated body massage tackling some of the knots and tightness in my back and shoulders. I really enjoyed my pampering session.

When my toes were freshly painted and drying under the special lamps at the front of the store, I had a chance to observe some walk-in customers. One lady came in with her two young daughters, probably five and eight years of age. She wanted a pedicure for herself and a manicure for the girls. The youngest looked cute in her little floral dress, eager to pick her favorite color, pink, from the nail polish rack.

The older girl, on the other hand, was rather aloof. Instead of picking a color, she sat down on the big couch in the waiting area. Her mother asked if she wanted to get her nails done. The girl shook her head. When the manicurist asked her if she liked manicures, the girl responded. “Oh, I like them. I’m just not in the mood.”

I had to laugh to myself when I heard her response. Although I hadn’t expected that answer, I had to admire her spunk since she knew at such a young age what she did and did not want.

Sometimes we aren’t in the mood for reading the Bible. We get caught up in our activities and the running of our lives that we don’t feel like making the time to sit and read His Word. Unlike a manicure Bible reading is vital to the life of a believer. It is meant to strengthen, encourage, exhort, rebuke, uplift, and edify us. It brings hope, joy, peace, and love. A manicure will only make us shine on the outside; the Bible fills our hearts so we shine on the inside.

You don't have to be in the mood to read God’s Word. Make some time, even five minutes a day, to open up the Holy Scriptures. Eventually you will be surprised at the new mood God creates in you.

No comments: