Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Stretching Out

In the comic books I used to collect there were usually two stories: the main story about the hero on the cover; and a secondary story starring a not-so-famous superhero. One of the sub-heroes I remember most was the Elongated Man. He had the ability to stretch his body any way he wanted. He could even stretch his finger out the window and around the house!

Right now I could use his abilities. I feel I am being stretched, but not in the physical sense of the word. God is asking me to stretch spiritually, and I don't like the discomfort it's causing.

It's not easy to change, particularly when you have to leave your comfort zones. What comes as a surprise to me, though, is that I didn't think I needed to change in these areas. The Lord, of course, thinks otherwise.

But the one cool thing I have come to realize is that God is the one who will lift me up and allow me to attain the goal He has set for me. He will help me stretch out and reach much further than I could on my own. I just have to be willing to accept His help and then take that step forward to begin what He is asking me to do.

It all comes down to a matter of trust. If I trust the Creator of the Universe, then I know that the steps He has for me are for the best. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

Is God asking you to stretch beyond your limits? Trust His purposes and join me in stretching out.

No comments: