Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Lesson from the Ice Cream Man

My daughter has had an ice cream craving for the last few days. We have been out of ice cream for about two weeks, and I had no current plans to buy any (I've been trying to cut down). So my daughter decided she was going to do the next best thing; she was going to wait for the ice cream man.

In our neighborhood we see more push cart ice cream vendors than the ice cream trucks that I grew up with as a kid. It had been unusually warm these last few days, so both the kids and I thought it would be just a matter of time before a vendor came down the street. Were we wrong.

My daughter waited all day Sunday, listening diligently for the tinkle of the bells from the cart. She waited all day on Monday, Lincoln's birthday and a day off from school, but to no avail. When she came home from school on Tuesday, I don't think she was as hopeful of his coming, but she still waited a bit outside, choosing to do her reading on a bench in the backyard.

My oldest son decided he would play a little trick by ringing a small school bell I have. It wasn't a very nice thing to do, particularly since his sister had been trying to wait patiently. I think the deception only made her long to hear the bells even more.

Finally, in the distance, a jingling was heard. The real ice cream man was here! My daughter's diligence was rewarded.

It's not easy to wait, especially when we are waiting for answers from the Lord. We can get discouraged despite trying to fill our time with other things to do. We can be deceived by false answers. We can feel as if our answers have passed us by. But if we stay the course, keep in God's Word, and not give up, our reward will be refreshingly sweet.

No comments: