Friday, February 15, 2008

A Rose is But a Rose?

My husband surprised me with a dozen roses on Valentines' Day. Those red beauties are sitting in a glass vase on my dining room table. I can smell their wonderful fragrance as I am writing this post. Such a work of art can never be recreated successfully.

People do try, however, to make fake flowers look real. Back in December I went to a local street fair, and I came across a booth that sold very realistic rose buds. If you were standing at a distance, you couldn't tell that the flowers weren't real. But once you got closer and leaned over to smell them, you could tell right away that they were artificial. In fact, my daughter ended up buying a few, and they had to add a scent to the roses so they could appear life-like.

God doesn't make sloppy substitutes. He masterfully crafted the flowers, the trees, and the animals. He left His handprint upon the fish and the birds and even the tiniest of insects. He even put his stamp of approval on humans. When His sixth day of creation ended, He "...saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good." Genesis 1:31b

People try to make phony gods, but the true God can never be substituted. He is genuine. He is real. No matter how small of a box we try to squeeze the Lord into, He will never fit. He wasn't meant to.

Next time you see a real rose, remember that it was made by our one and only Lord and Savior. And the cool thing is, He made it so we can enjoy His marvelous creation.

2 comments:

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Catherine, your husband must have spent quite a bit on those roses. I owned a flower shop and the suppliers always jacked the prices up on us right before Mother's Day and Valentine's Day. Aren't you glad God created such a sweet hubby for you?!!!
Gloria

Nancy I. Sanders said...

What a wonderful surprise to receive! I'm glad you had a happy day. And thanks for the reminder about how wonderful God is to give us the "real deal." Enjoy!
-Nancy