Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Out of the Blue

I have a sore throat. It started the other night and despite aspirin and teas and vitamins, it is still very persistent. The funny thing about this sore throat was that it caught me totally off guard. I hadn't been around any sick people. I had been keeping myself warm on the cool days and keeping myself cool on the hot days. Then all of a sudden...WHAM!

Sometimes life hits us with the unexpected. No matter how we try to protect ourselves or be diligent to do what is right, we suddenly find ourselves dealing with something that disrupts our days. The difficulty comes when we still have to function despite the pain or troubles the unforeseen brings.

Here are some suggestions on how to deal with the unexpected.

When I was working in management, we were taught to delegate, delegate, delegate. It was a smart lesson since we can't do everything on our own. We need the help of our team to get the work done. When the unexpected hits, we need to delegate amongst the family. Kids can sweep and fold laundry and even wash dishes (if they are old enough), so you can handle other duties. In my case, I needed some rest, so my oldest son was in charge until my husband came home.

Prioritizing is also important. Projects that aren't due until the following week can be delayed a day or two in order to get a handle on the current situation. If I don't get my rest and try to get control of my sore throat now, I will get worse and then all my projects and deadlines will be late. Waiting a few hours to take a nap and pamper myself will also help me be refreshed when it does come time to buckle down to my work.

Finally, prayer is key. God is not surprised by anything. He knows exactly what is happening to us and what is going to happen. Thankfully, we can call out to Him for wisdom and direction. We can ask Him for peace to deal with the added stress. When I am in need I find prayer helps me listen more earnestly for God's will.

There will always be something around the corner that we are not prepared for. Remember to delegate, prioritize, and most importantly, pray. The troubles may not go away immediately; but at least you can still have a bit of order and calm in your day.

3 comments:

Nancy I. Sanders said...

Hope you feel better soon, Catherine! I pray God will bring health and not spread the "wealth."
-Nancy

Catherine L. Osornio said...

Thanks! This is one thing in my life that I really don't want to share.

Gloria McQueen Stockstill said...

Catherine, hope you are feeling better really soon. I'll be praying for you.
Gloria