Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Yo-Yo Living

Do you ever feel like a yo-yo? You know, like a Duncan Imperial, that gets flung out and then springs back to you? I felt like that yesterday.

Instead of going out and getting my errands done and then coming home to stay, I ended up going out, coming back, and going out again, multiple times. At one point I went out to pick up my son, only to remember (after waiting a good 20 minutes) that he was staying later to attend a school club. I had to come back home and then head out again an hour later.

I don't like wasting time or energy if I don't have to. I'd prefer sticking to a routine, getting my chores or projects done, and then having some free time to relax or do something less hectic. But life isn't so cut and dry. There are always allowances that have to be made, for one reason or another.

That's why it pays to be flexible. Instead of getting angry about the delay or the altering of plans, I try to make the best of the situation. It's not easy, but it brings a lot more peace of mind.

So when you have those yo-yo days, try to roll with the throw. At least you know you can always start again.

No comments: