Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reciprocal Friendship

Are you a reciprocal friend? Do you expect your friend to act based on what you do to or for them? For example, you phone your friend a few times a week. Do you expect them to call you back at least a fraction of that amount? Or, do you do nice things for your friend expecting them to return the favor?

Under the world's understanding of a friend, this would be totally acceptable. But as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, I have learned it is not a good thing to be a reciprocal friend.

We are to do for others out of our love and compassion for God. We are not to expect similar actions in return. It's nice when we get them, but we aren't supposed to get bent out of shape because someone didn't return a phone call as fast as we would have, or even bothered to thank you for something that you helped them with. Our love is to be unconditional; meaning we do without expecting something back for our efforts.

I've been guilty of being a reciprocal friend, but the Lord has shown me through various people in my life that I am in sin when I am expecting others to react to my actions. He has called me to do certain acts of kindness because it shows examples of His love. I am not to feel hurt or resentful towards others when they don't or can't do what I have done. For one thing, I am responsible for my own actions. God will hold me accountable for what I do or do not do. He also will hold accountable things another does or does not do. I'm not to keep record for others. I'm just supposed to follow His leading for me.

Are you expecting too much from others? Are you a reciprocal friend? Ask God to keep you focused on what He would have you do.

No comments: